Released in July of this year Pokémon Go is a free-to-play, location-based reality game where your goal is to locate, capture, battle, and train virtual Pokémon.
Pokémon Go poses benefits such as encouraging players to move and get more physical activity and bringing large groups of people who connect over playing the game.
However, the popular app has received many criticisms and incidents:
- people driving while playing the game which of course leads to accidents
- invading sensitive area like cemeteries and memorials
- players entering railroad tracks and fire stations
- influx of people leads to traffic congestion, excessive littering, and numerous noise complaints
There were immediate accidents that followed the release of the app:
- July 20th —> an 18-year-old boy was shot and killed in Guatemala, police believed that the shooters used the game’s GPS to find the boy
- Japan —> incident occurred within hours of the app release
- New York —> Sex offenders are banned from playing the app while on parole
Is it worth the hype? What do you think?
Check out some links below on more incidents with the app…